Thursday, October 8, 2009

What Frightens Me

I love the Fall, not so much Halloween though. Seeing images of skeletons, fake blood and ghosts everywhere just goes against my "choose life" attitude. Yes, I let my kids dress-up for Halloween, but we just don't do blood and gore.

Never has my dislike of Halloween been so strong since I have developed relationships with refugee people. Imagine me trying to explain to very recent African refugees why Americans put fake cobwebs in their bushes and dangle fake skeletons and dead bodies from their trees. Imagine my horror as a refugee grandfather told me he didn't like to see that, since he has seen real dead bodies and skeletons hanging from trees in his home town.

He has experienced genocide and experiences trauma when we Americans choose to glorify death by decorating our homes with these scenes.

I don't remember Halloween being such a big deal when I was growing up. The day itself was filled with trick or treating and a Halloween party at school. Adults might attend a costume party. But I don't remember so many homes being decorated (a full month or more before Halloween!). I think I heard somewhere that Americans spend more money on Halloween than any other holiday other than Christmas. What??? It frightens me that we choose a holiday that glorifies death more than we celebrate Easter which is all about LIFE.

"I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life..." Deuteronomy 30:19b-20

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% I don't even want to look at peoples houses. Do they also forget that people are walking their 3 and 4 year olds around to trick or treat. We are so clueless here in America about real death and tragedy. Thanks for sharing your friends comments!
    We have a house near us with huge devils on it. So scary:( It saddens my heart as well.

    ReplyDelete