Thursday, September 16, 2010

Taking the Day Off

Today I thought I'd share with you something I learned in the first year of Carter's special needs life. Those first years tested me like nothing I have ever been through. I was tired physically, spiritually, emotionally almost everyday. The sheet number of hours I spent on the phone with the insurance company, making doctor's appointments, going to doctor's appointments, filling prescriptions, searching the internet for support and answers alone would make anyone exhausted, let alone all the regular exhaustion of raising an infant.

One thing I learned that year was to take one day a week off. We already devoted Sunday to rest, but there is something extra great about taking off a weekday, a day you could be doing something, but choose not to. My day was Thursday. I did not allow myself to schedule anything related to Carter's needs that day (unless it was an emergency of course). I did not allow myself to google anything medical. The internet is a black hole, people. I love it, but it can scare the daylights out of me, too. I didn't read anything about Noonan syndrome or call the insurance company. I even steered my thoughts away from anything stressful regarding my sweet boy.

Do you know what this did for me? It let me enjoy my son for the incredible baby and little boy he is and not be focused only on his medical needs. It gave me a day to look forward to. It refreshed and renewed me. I became more cheerful and more positive.

Whatever your source of stress is- financial problems, marriage issues, whatever it is, try taking a day off. See what it does for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment