Monday, January 9, 2012

It's a New Year

As you may remember, I am not a New Year's resolution type gal.  Goals freak me out.  Resolutions make me want to rebel.  But the thought of being left out of the New Year, Fresh Start world leaves me feeling a little lonely and hum-drum.

A couple years ago, I started picking one word to focus on for the new year.  In 2010, it was HOPE.  In 2011, I chose PEACE.  Through the year, I looked up every verse in the Bible pertaining to these words.  I used them in my decision-making process.  In deciding between Plan A or Plan B, which would bring me more HOPE?  or more PEACE?

So this year, my word is GENEROSITY.  This will come as no surprise to my church family as we are about to embark on a four-week, church-wide study on this topic.  I am captivated by the idea that generosity has relatively little to do with the amount of money one gives.  It is more about humbling yourself to give like Christ gave- his whole life.

It is Jesus washing the disciple's feet.

Gordon MacDonald teaches:

"As God sacrificed His Son, so we follow and give even those things that are most precious to us in our personal worlds: our time, our convenience, our creature comforts."

Do you have a word of the year?  If you do, I'd love to hear it!


No comments:

Post a Comment