Monday, April 9, 2012

The End of Clothes Month

Yesterday was the glorious end of our Clothes Month.  Yes, we ended a day short of our four-week period, but Easter Sunday was the perfect day to burst out of our self-imposed clothing rut, and into our Easter finery.

As you may know, a group of friends and I are conducting an "experimental mutiny against excess" as inspired by Jen Hatmaker, author of 7.  For the past month, I only wore 7 different articles of clothing.  My wardrobe consisted of 3 t-shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, a denim pencil skirt and a cardigan.

For the most part- I LOVED this month.  I loved the greatly reduced amount of laundry.  I LOVED the simplicity.  No thinking about what I would wear each day, just put on the clothes.  Before this month's experiment, I wouldn't have considered myself to have a ton of clothes.  Now, however, I realize how much I really do have.  I have already given away piles.  I simply don't have the mental space to keep clothes that don't fit, or don't fit well.  I am loving my paired down closet.

On the other hand, I did miss being able to express my mood through color and outfit choice.  I love color and I picked all neutral colors for the month in an effort to not get annoyed at any of the clothes I had to wear.

I have also been thinking more about the responsibility of choosing clothes that are manufactured responsibly when I do purchase clothes.  This is something I want to understand better.

I leave you today with a picture of our family squinting in light of the Son sun after Resurrection Sunday service.





1 comment:

  1. Y'all look beautiful. And you have just reminded me that it is time to go through my closet again.

    ReplyDelete