Monday, September 7, 2009

Vegetarian for a Day

I've been hearing of a concept lately that involves going vegetarian for one day a week. I like this idea a lot. Sometimes I think about becoming vegetarian again (I did this once and the whole thing fell apart when I became pregnant with Evelea and craved hamburgers like nobody's business). I know I will never actually become vegetarian again because I already don't eat wheat or dairy, and Carter is severely allergic to nuts, and anymore restrictions would make meal planning total nightmare. Plus, I like meat too much. Things I like about about going vegetarian for a day a week:
  • health benefits
  • saves money
  • saves the planet
  • I get to use my delicious vegetarian recipes
Here is my Vegetarian Chili recipe to get you started:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 can 28oz diced tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
2 15 oz cans of black beans
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup canned corn
2 teaspoons of minced canned chipolte chilies
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed oregano
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in pan, add onion, red & green pepper, garlic- cook until tender. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, chilies,oregano, cumin and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to how, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stir occasionally. Stir in corn, cook another five minutes. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea. It may not jive with Kevin and his preference for red meat but one day isn't too much to sacrifice, right? Chile sounds good, I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete