Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On the radio this morning, the morning hosts were talking about the disgusting fact that cruise ships are continuing to dock in Haiti during this horrible crisis. The cruise- goers get off the boat, have barbecue, dance, drink, party, while the people just feet away are suffering so greatly.

My first thought was how abhorrent this is. I mean who could enjoy themselves? My second thought was, am I really that different than those vacationers? Of course my heart is broken for the Haitians and I've been praying and giving money, but I really have no problem to go on with my day in the midst of it all.

Of course there are many crisis just like this one going on everyday around the world. 5000 children will become orphans today. And tomorrow another 5000. And the day after that.

What should our response be to all this suffering? Christ calls us to rejoice with those who are rejoicing and suffer with those who are suffering. What does this really look like?

Lord, make my heart more like yours. Help me to live the way you want me to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment